Receptionist/Legal Assistant Position
We are looking to expand our team by adding a legal assistant to aid in the every day operation of the firm. Legal experience is preferred, though not necessary. Strong administrative skills and great “people” skills are a must. The successful applicant will be able to work primarily from home, though he or she will need to be in the office for a few hours each week.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Review the job description below to determine whether you will be a good fit!
A legal assistant is an administrative assistant trained in the field of law. They are proficient at handling all administrative duties within a law office or legal department setting and serve as trusted members of a law firm, ensuring precision in their work and respecting strict confidentiality requirements. He or she must have excellent phone and computer skills and must be able to effectively perform a number of routine tasks at a moment’s notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software; scanning mail into appropriate online case files; confirming case status with attorney.
- Helps develop cases by maintaining contact with people involved in the case; scheduling depositions; preparing and forwarding summonses and subpoenas; preparing and filing discovery requests; preparing correspondence to clients, opposing counsel, and other legal entities; generating status reports.
- Scheduling, coordinating and confirming court dates, appointments, and meetings
- Keeps clients informed by maintaining contact; communicating case progress.
- Maintains case costs by verifying outstanding balances with attorney, clients, and providers.
- Supports case preparation by preparing case summaries and materials for mediation conferences; monitoring and obtaining discovery responses; organizing materials for team case review.
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed; taking courtroom notes.
- Answers the office phone lines in an efficient and effective manner.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Reporting Skills, Research Skills, Legal Administration Skills, Litigation, Client Relationships, Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality, Dependability, Excellent Time Management, Impressive Communication Skills